Pearson launches new iBook eTextbooks in UK, Australia and Canada
24 Oct 12
Pearson builds on launch of iBooks with new range of interactive textbooks with richer and more engaging content for the Apple iPad
Sydney, October 24, 2012. Pearson, the world’s leading learning company, is today publishing a new range of iBook eTextbooks in the UK, Australia and Canada. The books, designed for a range of different students, are available today through Apple’s new eTextbook category channel on the iBookstore.
The availability of the new interactive textbooks marks the launch of the new iBook eTextbook category outside the US and builds on the successful launch of the iBooks in January. The new titles include some of Pearson’s bestselling textbooks re-imagined for the iPad and brought to life with engaging video, audio, assessment, interactive images and 3D animations.
In Australia, four new titles for Grade 8 will be launched including Pearson:History, Pearson:Science, Pearson:English as well as Pearson:Maths which will be available by the end of 2012. They feature beautiful illustrations, videos that can be viewed on a page or as full screen demonstration, chapter reviews and interactive material to help bring the subject to life.
In the UK, Revise Edexcel GCSE Maths for secondary students will include 20 tutorial videos, quizzes and a puzzle game where you have to build 3D structures that match plan and elevation views. Anatomy and Physiology for Beauty Therapy includes high quality colour illustrations, photography and videos alongside interactive knowledge and progress checks.
The Australian and UK titles have benefited from early access to a new version of iBooks Author supporting maths fonts and new design widgets for new image galleries, and labelled illustrations.
“We’re delighted to be able to make our interactive textbooks available to a bigger global audience. Our tablet-using students consistently ask for richer, more engaging interactive books and textbooks, and we’ve certainly delivered that in the shape of the illustrations, photography, videos, puzzles and quizzes that really bring learning to life for our readers.”
“The Pearson Australia team is very pleased and proud to be announcing today the release of four Australian secondary school titles through the Apple iBookstore. The influence of technology in Australia’s classrooms continues to grow and with it the demand for high quality online materials. These books demonstrate beautifully the power of technology to enhance the learning experience and we hope the wealth of interactive material they offer will engage and excite students.”
Around the world, hundreds of millions of students and teachers use Pearson’s learning technologies including:
● MyLabs, which provide online adaptive learning for school and college students;
● Pearson Learning Studio, which powers elearning for many of America’s leading higher education institutions;
● Dash, Pearson’s award-winning app that gives teachers mobile access to multimedia learning materials and personalised lessons;
● OLE, Pearson’s Online Learning Exchange, which connects teachers to thousands of learning objects, videos, animations and photos to help them customise their lessons and teach their own way;
● PowerSchool, provides powerful tools for teachers to monitor their classrooms, record student progress and communicate with parents;
● Poptropica, a virtual learning world and game for children used by 8-10m individual children every month. It is the largest children’s website in the world;
● OpenClass, a scalable and cloud-based learning system that encourages social learning and is easy and free to use;
● Schoolnet, provides assessment, curriculum and other services to help personalise learning and improve teacher effectiveness. It supports more than 5 million US students in primary and secondary education;
● Bug Club, a whole-school reading programme for children that links books with online reading that can be accessed from school or home; and
● Active Learn, an online revision and homework programme that allows students to access questions and learning aids matched to their course.